Last Thursday, I brought Matt to the Kinderland Pre-School Open House. Toying with the idea of sending Matt to Kinderplay, and it is the nearest most convenient pre-school near my place.
Matt seemed intrigued by the many kids his age, and happily followed their every movement from classroom to the hall, ocassionally turning back and running back to me. I was, however, a little less enthusiastic. The person-in-charge kept warning me that Matt will SURELY fall sick, in fact, very often. She kept emphasizing that while it's tough on the parents, and if we pull the child out, it's a lot of paper work for them, and there will be disruption to the child. I don't know what look I had on my face, but she continued to warn me. To a point where I was wondering is she trying to scare me away from enrolling Matt.
They also focus a lot on independence, she said. The children learn to eat, shower, play, walk by themselves. Maybe because I was carrying Matt a lot, I must've projected an image of a protective mother. But hey. Cut me some slack. It was raining with wind blowing in strong gusts, and little Matt was in a singlet and shorts.
I turned my attention from her to the children. They look happy. They look like they are having fun. Things she said just drowned in the background. Matt looked like he wanted to join them.
I asked her what do they do if the children misbehaves. They don't do anything. I displayed shock, and asked if they do not correct the children? She said they do not believe in punishing the children. Well, I don't need them to punish, in fact, I do not want them to. But they do need to be stern and correct the children on the spot.
Maybe she saw through that I am reluctant to let go. To let Matt be exposed to all the germs out there. Perhaps I was holding on tightly to little Matthew that she noticed I will have trouble letting go. I guess it takes an experienced teacher to notice these signs in mothers :-P
Mixed bag of emotions as I left. Pre-school. Why not? I only want what's best for Matt. What is the best? My gut feel is to delay delay delay. Hubs thinks Matt's ready. But hey darling, we went to kindergarten only when we were 5! Shall we wait?
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Oh yeah, we attended pre-school when we were 5 and we're not exactly languishing in the bowels of society right now LOL But if he likes it there, why not?
ReplyDelete