Thursday, February 11, 2010

Chinese New Year

I was kinda looking forward to Chinese New Year in January. Christmas was about thanksgiving. Chinese New Year is about renewal. And some serious cleaning. For weeks now, whenever I had some time, I spring-cleaned.

When we moved into our current home 2 years ago, I was 8 months pregnant with Matt, hence, never did any meaningful unpacking. Hubs, being a man, unpacked "as is." Everything went into the cupboards. Unorganized trash. Out of sight, out of mind. I occasionally thought about it, but did not have the luxury of time or energy to deal with them. Until last month. We did some minor reno at home for the much needed storage, and it was great opportunity to chuck, chuck, and chuck!

I also managed some time to buy meself, hubs and Matt some new clothes. My mother-in-law bought me a pomelo and nian gao. She ordered some famous bak gwa. I bought some goodies here and there. I changed new notes to pack ang pow. It seems we are quite set for a good Chinese New Year.

Until last Sunday. My new helper completely dampened my mood. After weeks of training, I was happy that she was improving. Matt was 50% warming up to her. Then, she promptly announced "I give up, ma'am. I want to go back Philippines." What the f#*&!! She said she misses her kids. She said things are easier back home. She said she "cannot care Matthew." Perhaps I have been overly fierce and stern with her? So I tried to talk to her, even apologized for those moments of anger. But the more I talked, the more inconsistent her reasons became.

My agent and I grilled her, and finally came to the conclusion - she is lazy. Missing her kids was an excuse. Although I am certain she does miss them. We concluded so because she didn't mind being transfered to another family without young children, and not any other types of family.

To cut the long story short, I decided to let her transfer (hubs thinks I am too nice to even let her transfer) and I will look for new helper. But the thought of choosing another one, to wake up at 530 to train her daily, to get Matt to get used to a new helper - SUPER SIAN aaahh!

Having said that, once I decided on the course of action, I was sort of happier. The absence of alternatives clears the mind marvelously. 2 days from Chinese New Year, I am slowly trying to get into the mood again. A piece of bak gwa may just do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment