I have been very busy. And tired.
Old helper left. New helper in. I should re-phrase. New want-to-help-er. She's not quite at the level to be able to help me efficiently and effectively. Needs some SERIOUS training. Kinda forgetful. First ONLY words were yes ma'am and no ma'am.
A conversation about brocolli which she has not seen before.
Ok, what is this called again?
Yes ma'am
No, Maria, what is the name of this vegetable?
No ma'am
I shake my head in disbelief. She looks lost.
The worst bit? Matt doesn't take well to her.
Yet.
I hope.
So I have been doing almost everything for Matt, over and above training her. I only have one window of opprtunity - when Matt is taking his afternoon nap. Provided I am not working in the office.
One week has passed, and I'd like to believe she has somewhat moved up the curve. One inch.
Out of a 100-inch curve.
I urged her to speak up more, not mumble, to open up, to ask. I showed her what are Matthew's favourite toys, asked her to tell Matthew what she is doing, to give instructions to him instead of 'just doing.' She is not confident of her English, so she is not generous with her words, very unlike my previous helper.
BUT. She seems a very honest person, and is appreciative for all the good things. She is rather pleasant-looking, more so when not stressed. And I can see her genuinely trying her best.
In the time being, hubs and I have concluded that we need to chip in and help her do some housework until she slowly moves further along the curve. Beats reprimanding her when she forgets to do something we taught her. Helps me maintain some sanity.
Hubs has been most helpful; he went wet-marketing and brought Matt out all by himself, the former, he absolutely hates. When I am tired, he takes over where he can and even trains the helper. Don't think I can manage without him.
Sometimes, we have a good laugh about conversations like the one about the brocolli, and then we are ready to face her again.
We have a good feel about her nonetheless, and are confident that she will slowly be the helper we need her to be.
Monday, January 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


All the best! It is never easy having a new helper. But if she has the right attitude, I'm sure she can be of help to you eventually! :-)
ReplyDelete