Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Get-Away to Koh Samui

Once we decided on Koh Samui, everything fell into place quickly. Air tickets, accomodation were all sorted within 3 days.

We had 3 great great days - wonderful weather, glorious sun, nice resort, and above all, a relaxed husband and a happy kid!



We enjoyed playing with the sand by the beach, although he was initially uncomfortable with so much sand on him. It bothered him all of 15 seconds, and then he was watering the sand and commanding me (!) to build him train and crab out of the sand moulds I bought him from Toys"R"Us.



This trip, Matt expanded his repertoire of vehicles experience - the plane, the van, even the tuk-tuk, which he pronounces most cutely. He has taken plane twice before, but this is the first time he is aware that he is in one.

Stars! Tinke tinke star!

The highlight of the trip for him has to be the ATV!! It was also hub's and my first time, and we had a ball. At the start, Matt sat with daddy, but started whining and seemed fearful. So I was prepared to stay back while the rest went ahead. I wanted to go, so I sat him with me instead, and started the engine. Slowly, a big smile spread across his face. I guess he needed some confidence from being with his most trusted person. He rode with me for about 10 mins, then with daddy for the rest of the 1-hour ride.



This trip, Matt really surprised me. As always, actually. I guess I often underestimate my son for many things - unable to eat this this that that, go without nap, to tahan the long drive to KL (on a seperate occasion), to tahan the long flight - but I have come to believe that all these negative thoughts are derived from my own fear.

Before and throughout the trip, I constantly reminded myself to be cool, to let go off my preoccupation with routine, to be more chillax with him not eating well. In fact, he ate pretty okay, well, with some help from the iPhone. I was recommended some games like First Words and Wheels on the Bus, and they kept him preoccupied during meal times (and plane rides, too!) Matt was a darling through and through - he was obedient, well-behaved mostly, the sweetest boy who gave me smile after smile, assuring this pathetic mama that he is doing fine and having a good time.


Enjoying milk with gentle sea breeze; daily conversation with the koi fishes

I guess that is all I ask for, that my 2 boys are happy. It didn't matter that I didn't go for a massage, or had time to get a sun tan which I so need. I am happy if they are happy.

Family photo courtesy of our friend

I guess I can be ready for more trips after enjoying this one. Till the next beach holiday ...

1 comment: