Matt loves having me feed him - I guess it is because I engage him. I respond to whatever he is telling me. Even when he watches tv, he would tell me about what is happening, so I didn't make too much out of his watching tv during mealtimes, much as I hated this unhealthy habit since I caved in.
At my in-laws, it's a different situation. I don't think my helper or in-laws engage him the way I do. I have seen him staring intently at the screen. And not blink. For a long time. I asked my helper if they talked to him while he watches tv. Yeah, sometimes.
While we have in the past noticed that Matt spaces out sometimes, it wasn't until my in-laws were away on their vacation that I became concerned by how often he did that. He would stare at something, imaginary or real, for a long time. If I attempted to talk to him, he would sometimes repeat what I say, but clearly, he wasn't with me. While I was unsure if this behaviour was normal and would pass with further development stages, I was concerned that it might be related to him staring so intently at the tv for that full hour while he was being fed.
Then, to add on, I was aghast to find out that my in-laws give tv to him even for breakfasts, which has been a big no-no when he is with us!
Hubs observed Matt, and was also suitably concerned. So last week, we embarked on Project Cold Turkey. He confiscated all the DVDs at my in-laws house because we know they are not capable of handling a crying boy and would just give in every time. We also explained what is happening, and told them that if he doesn't eat with tv, well, he just doesn't get to eat.
To ease the transition, I went out to buy some little toys that could be brought to the dinner table so that he would be distracted. One battle at a time, no tv, then no toys.
So far, success has been mixed. He is ok with me, but not at my in-laws. I made a mistake of leaving one DVD there for in case. Hubs obviously knows his parents better than I do. I was upset, but then hey, they are the ones going through the difficulty feeding my son.
I don't know. Maybe I am doing things all wrong. Maybe it is normal to space out? What have I done to my boy? Whatever the case, I have been a horrible mama to have raised a kid who cannot eat without distraction.


Popped by from Jayne and thought I'll just drop a note to let you know you're not alone! I'm practically the circus clown when it comes to feeding my kids, I'm just short of swallowing swords and breathing fire. Come to think of it I may actually have done the latter.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, it takes a while for him to adjust but kids are darn adaptable, it'll get better soon!
Thanks for note of encouragement, Daphne. I certainly do hope things get better eventually :)
ReplyDelete