I think about some of the things that I and some of my friends want in life for our kids (besides of course, great health and happiness in life), and I realise that we all want to give our kids experiences that we did not, or could not, get in our own lives growing up as a kid. The good things that you've enjoyed, you'd naturally impart or afford your children the same experiences. But those that we did not manage to, the more we seemed to want to work on letting our kids experience it.
Experiences could be trivial. One friend said he would always let his kids order room service when on holiday because his parents never let him. Ha ha!
Others are on a more serious note. Another wanted to have more than one kid because she was lonely growing up alone and never knew the joys of having a sibling. Yet another wanted her child to grow up knowing God because her family was not religious.
Me? Out of the many many things I want for my kids, I want them to live free of worry. I am a worry-wart. I worry about everything. And at one point in my life, I had to worry a lot about money. I want my children to be able to let go and live life without being overly cautious about anything.
I want them to be passionate about something they love, and to pursue that passion. A pastime of sorts that would let them have meaning in life apart from their work. Could be anything. Cooking. Photography. Music. Jesus Christ. Skiing. Sports. Charity. I don't know. Anything. So I aim to expose my children to all sorts. To music I never knew, to all the arts I never quite appreciated. To Sunday School. To experience the great outdoors in awesome places like Yosemite and Nepal. It would be nice to have that one passion that gives them added meaning to their lives.


I can do the music bit....but it will be rock-focused...hehe.
ReplyDeleteThis post got me thinking.. and I think one of the things I want my kids to have is closeness amongst themselves and to love one another openly and freely. I guess I come from a typical Asian family where hugs are non-existent and saying "I love you" is crazy. I hope they won't be afraid to show their love for one another and stay close even when they grow up, marry, have their own kids etc.
ReplyDelete