I meant to blog about Matt's 1 month progress since he started in school, but it got over-shadowed by his chicken pox.
After the one massive breakdown on Day 3 when I left him alone, he did very well - no crying, just some general protest at the health check station every morning where he was to be seated down and have torch light shone into his mouth to check for ulcers. And I thought to myself, wow, not too bad at all. I had expected worse. He didn't seem like he enjoyed school yet, but he didn't seem to mind either. He largely ate nothing during lunch, except a few spoonful of whatever catches his fancy.
Then the crying came. 4th week into school. Every morning, I had to wrestle with a whining boy from the car seat, up the lift to the school, and play tug-of-war along the corridor all the way to his class. He would be wailing at the top of his voice as I walk out. It was sucky to part this way, but I realise quick, firm goodbyes were the way to go than long, whiny ones. Between shards of my broken heart, was, thankfully, one rational piece left that willed my legs to walk on and my head not to turn and make eye contact. It didn't help that the lao shi informed me he cried on and off for one hour every day.
I was beginning to dread school as much as him, when, as abruptly as the crying started, it ended. Monday of the 5th week. He gave his full cooperation at the health check station. Then, he hugged me from the back, buried his little face on my butt cheek, peeping from time to time as he chug-chugged along as a train with mama leading in front all the way to the class. Then he happily hopped off when he reached the class.
I was informed that some days, he even ate a full bowl of lunch! However, he still walks about and not sit down during story-telling, but I am perfectly happy with his progress.
It is strange how things happen so mysteriously sometimes. Maybe he realises that protesting doesn't work, and he has come to accept his fate under The No Choice Act.
The chicken pox threw us off course, naturally. I hope it will not be a battle re-introducing him to school when he recovers.
Thursday, September 9, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment