Monday, November 30, 2009

Eating Out

Maybe I am to blame for Matt's fussiness when it comes to food. From day 1 of solid food, Matt has eaten only home-cooked food, thanks to well-meaning advices, from my old folks to internet to books to friends, that home-cooked is best. I have no doubts about that. Freshest ingredients, no salt, no sugar, no msg! What more could be better?! So even when we went out, I would cook at home and bring along home-cooked food to feed him outside.

I go out and see kids about the same age or younger polishing up pastas and deep fried food and I thought to myself, Matt's got home-cooked food, that's so much better than the food those kids are chowing down.

These days, though, I wish I hadn't been such a sticker to the rule. I wish I let Matt try outside food when he was younger. Maybe it would have been easier for him to adapt to any types of food. At two, we are still rushing home after a morning outing to let him eat lunch at home. Or an evening in the park to be ended earlier just so he wouldn't be late for dinner at home. I wish that we could just play on and on and then just pop by into a restaurant to eat together.

It's not that I like him eating outside food that much. But I wish that when we do eat outside, he'd eat whatever we ate. But he wouldn't.

Except for fries. That, he loves.

We are now on a mission to let him try everything we eat when we go out. We'd still bring his food out - I am not cool enough to let him not eat. But we will start him out on what is served in the restaurant first. If he eats that, then I will gladly eat his stuff from home!! Afterall, it's home-cooked leh!

No comments:

Post a Comment