I never imagined I would have so much fun, but I did. And so did hubs and Matt! The place is just so ... energetic. The ambience is amazing. It has a powerful ability to make you feel young and full of energy, and you just want to keep going.
The only bummer, really, is the queues for the rides. Still, that did not dampen our mood.
We met up with a dear friend and her family for the Disneyland leg of our trip. They brought their daughter who is the same age as Matt to several Disneylands prior to this, and being veterans, gave us many valueable tips. At their suggestion, we stayed at Disneyland Hotel itself, which was pricey, but offered us privileges such as access to the resort 15 minutes earlier than the public who were already queueing outside. That 15 minutes, we learnt, was especially crucial to take the first few rides before the crowd descended upon the resort, after which, queueing was the order for the day.
For some very popular rides, there is the "express" feature where you obtain a "FASTPASS" indicating a specific time period for you to return to take the ride, skipping the queue, hence, saving time.
Matt enjoyed ALL the rides, from gentle, peaceful It's A Small World boat ride to the wilder roller-coaster rides, and everything in between. Experiences were wide-ranging, from underwater submarine, to flying dumbo, dark Pirates of the Carribean boat ride, a steam train through the forest, to name but just a few. Lovely!






Happy on a boat ride on It's A Small World; elated on The Whirlpool at Mermaid Lagoon; racing car ride with papa; steam train ride; interior of Monsters Inc; interior of It's A Small World
He definitely displayed preference for the more ferocious rides, as evidenced in his protest when we pulled him away from the Gadget's Go-Coaster ride in Toontown. He was even willing to leave me to go for the ride with my friend's husband who was next in line to go for the ride alone because his daughter was not keen! While I screamed some parts of the ride, the little daredevil was grinning from ear-to-ear throughout it. I recall the joyful look on his face as we went down the plunge.
Gadget's Go-Coaster ride
Every evening, Matt (and Izzy) both crashed for that much needed rest after an intense day, and for that hour or two, hubs and I strolled around to enjoy each other's company, absorb the atmosphere and the wonderful weather which hovered around 22C - 27C. When the duo woke up, we'd head out for dinner, and the nights were ended with spectacular fireworks in the sky!

Disneyland, I feel, exemplifies best the adage that parenthood is exhausting, but we trudge on anyway, just so we see another smile on the child's face. We were seriously tired by end of Day 1, but we continued on knowing that they'll be so happy on each new ride, each new experience.
Having fun at Tom Sawyer's playground
So. For 3 days, we were transported to a really cheerful and fun place. I guess I have been overly concerned with negative influences of D.U.S. At the end of the day, it is all about having fun with Matt, and having a great time as a family. Nothing else really matters.

Happy on a boat ride on It's A Small World; elated on The Whirlpool at Mermaid Lagoon; racing car ride with papa; steam train ride; interior of Monsters Inc; interior of It's A Small World
He definitely displayed preference for the more ferocious rides, as evidenced in his protest when we pulled him away from the Gadget's Go-Coaster ride in Toontown. He was even willing to leave me to go for the ride with my friend's husband who was next in line to go for the ride alone because his daughter was not keen! While I screamed some parts of the ride, the little daredevil was grinning from ear-to-ear throughout it. I recall the joyful look on his face as we went down the plunge.
Gadget's Go-Coaster rideEvery evening, Matt (and Izzy) both crashed for that much needed rest after an intense day, and for that hour or two, hubs and I strolled around to enjoy each other's company, absorb the atmosphere and the wonderful weather which hovered around 22C - 27C. When the duo woke up, we'd head out for dinner, and the nights were ended with spectacular fireworks in the sky!
Disneyland, I feel, exemplifies best the adage that parenthood is exhausting, but we trudge on anyway, just so we see another smile on the child's face. We were seriously tired by end of Day 1, but we continued on knowing that they'll be so happy on each new ride, each new experience.
So. For 3 days, we were transported to a really cheerful and fun place. I guess I have been overly concerned with negative influences of D.U.S. At the end of the day, it is all about having fun with Matt, and having a great time as a family. Nothing else really matters.


You don't say! I've only been to the one in HK, but I remember how much I enjoyed being a kid all over again. And yes, I wore Minnie ears the whole time :)
ReplyDeleteLove the pics (at ur facebook).
ReplyDeleteWay to go Matt!! He is a brave boy. I dun think I would let Ryan on the roller coaster... me being a coward of all these rides!!
Matt will remember this holiday as one of his fav childhood memories..definitely!