Saturday, June 20, 2009

Diarrhea

Matt had difficulty poo-ing in the first three weeks of his existence.  Then as if to tell me he is more than capable in this department, he had diarrhea for almost three weeks when he was about ten months old.

In summary, he LS-ed endlessly, at the worst, about 8 times in 24 hours.  Even in his sleep.  I slept with him on the mattress every night - each time he moved, I'd wake up to see him get on all four, crouching in pain from stomach churn, then he'd LS.  I had to spray water to wash the stool off, and he would grab my hand or pull my shirt, clinging on so tight and cried in pain.  I cried with him every time  :(

Desitin was his, and my, best friend.  It formed a protective layer to prevent the stool from direct contact with his skin.  Smecta, Reutefene and/or Lactoguard ruled the day.  On his pedi's recommendation, I switched to Isomil soy milk.  He was a good boy and drank them despite the change in taste.  After about ten days and no sight of an end, I sought opinion of another pedi, but it was the same diagnosis.  She also recommended that I reduced solids and gave him more formula made with porridge water so that Matt wouldn't be too hungry.  I re-looked all the formulaes available on the supermarket shelves and found Enfalac lactose-free.  Unlike Isomil, this was cow-based.  I decided to give it a try. Once I switched, Matt started to show some improvement.  So either Matt did not take well to soy-based formula, or the bacteria just cleared by then.  Whatever the case, I was glad.  

Matt lost about 0.4kg from this bout of diarrhea.

Despite all the pain and discomfort, Matt remained largely happy and active!  His disposition amazes me. I think most children are amazing in this respect.

These days, whenever Matt poos more than once a day, I go on HIGH alert.  Phobia!

No comments:

Post a Comment