Matthew was an easy baby to feed. He'd eat everything I put in front of him - cereal, porridge, white rice, brown rice, pasta, cheese, apple, avocados, pears, peas, spinach, brocolli, carrots, pumpkins, potatoes, tofu, steamed fish, beef, chicken, pork, liver. It was truly a joy feeding him.
Suddenly, he decided to starve to fight a cause to maybe free the animals or something.
Started about the time he turned one. Some days, I'd be lucky if I get manage even one spoonful of rice into his mouth. Zero meat or greens. I can tell teething days apart - they'd be characterized by no interest in even snacks. But on days he fights his cause(s),
he. just. wouldn't. eat.
I lost my temper and shouted at him many times. Especially when he pushed my hand away, and the spoon and food get strewn all over the floor. I'd feel so bad for yelling at him, but it was super frustrating.
Naturally, I was also worried. I wondered if there was something wrong with him. How is he going to get by without any nutrients?
I started to waver on my 'no tv, no toys' resolution. You want car car? Ok. Buses? Ok. Blocks? Ok. How about we change to stacking cups now? You're bored already? Oh! Shape sorters? Sure!
He also ate better if he ate rice with strong tasting fruits. Strawberries, blueberries, banana, kiwi. We'd mash his vege, stack that under the rice, top it with tasty meat, and disguise everything with a layer of fruit. We'd make sure both his hands are busy with some toys so he wouldn't be able to push our hands away. Then we'd "attack" his mouth and shove the whole lot of food in.
Most days, we manage to feed at least half his meal this way. I often wondered if he was even aware that he was eating, let alone what he is eating, but I am certain he knows. Because whenever we removed the fruit, he wouldn't open his mouth.
So Matt, guess what? Mama wouldn't let you win those hunger strikes. Just face it ok? You eat. Cause I said so.
Which toy now? The maracas? Be my guest!


aiyoh. such a pain when they won't eat and you worry that something is wrong or that they're not getting all the nutrients that they need to grow properly. zara is a good eater but is sometimes distracted or otherwise disinterested in her food. but recently we found that letting her hold a piece of bread while we feed her helps a lot as she thinks she's feeding herself.
ReplyDelete