Monday, June 22, 2009

My Husband, Matthew's Papa

Actually, it was at Howie's insistence that I blog about him fixing the bike at the park yesterday evening, to put down for the records his accomplishment as a daddy.

Honest truth is, he has been the pillar of strength for me, although I don't think I ever communicated that to him, ever. In fact, I often told him he doesn't do enough. I'd always pick on how he gets so much personal time watching tv, reading newspaper, and surfing. I'd remind him he doesn't know how to feed Matt or put Matt to bed now that our little toddler is exercising his insistence on having mama and no one else at these tasks. I'd yell at him for winding me up whenever I was tired. And I'd get upset and take it out on him whenever I have disagreement with the ways in which my in-laws are bringing Matthew up on.

I am quite ashamed of myself. Honestly, he has done a wonderful job as a father! First off, he was so macho cutting his son's umbilical cord (under the No Choice Act!). From someone who didn't quite dare carry his own little baby, he can now shower the boy on his own! He tried to stay up with me to give me moral support whenever I had to pump milk in the middle of the night, although he struggled to stay awake. Whenever I felt burnt out, he'd ask me to "apply leave!", quietly put me to bed and he'd sleep on the sofa in Matthew's room and manage the night feeding as best he could. He'd take Matt out on his own some Saturday mornings so I could sleep in a little while longer. He'd hold me and tell me I am the best mother ever whenever I had doubts in myself when Matt misbehaves. He'd tell me Matt has the best care in the world because I am his mama. He'd get lost in his own thoughts about what he'd do with Matt when the little boy is older (he invested in a ski suit already!). He behaves like he earns a million bucks a month when he is at the toys and clothes department shopping for Matthew. He'd rush home early so he can bring his son out for walkies. Actually, he felt very sad and discouraged when, for a period of time, Matt pushed him away all the time after one of the business trips. These days, Matt absolutely loves his papa and would look for him to say good night before he goes to bed. He is officially the meat specialist - he couldn't stop beaming when Matt loved the chicken, beef and pork he cooked for the little fussy tyke!


Above all, Howie is the best husband I can ever ask for, and I have to seriously learn how to cut him some slack because he is already doing his best.

And darling Matthew, your papa is the best one around, you know? He will fulfill your wildest dreams, and give you everything you could possibly want. Even if it isn't within his means, he'd always do his utmost best, like how he is being his best in our lives right now!

Happy Papa's Day!!

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. soooooooooooooooooo sweet!! I miss matt. I believe both of you are the BEST DAD and MUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. matt is one lucky 'button'

    -sophie

    ReplyDelete