Saturday, October 9, 2010

Disneyland & Universal Studios (D.U.S)

The day has come. I will be bringing Matthew to Disneyland next week!

For the longest time, I have been a proponent of "no Disneyland, no Universal Studios for as long as I can help it." It stems from my perception that influences from D.U.S need not be encouraged. They will come through the media, the toys, friends, everywhere, everything. Just take a look at the toy stores.

I lean more towards exposing Matt to the mountains, the rivers, the great wide skies. The countryside, farm stays, B&Bs, RVs, camping, road trips. I hope for him to like the great outdoors. I want to bring him on such holidays.

But I think about how so very happy he will be at Disneyland. The rides, the sights, the whole atmosphere. I think about how selfish I am, subjecting him to his mama's silly whimsical thinking.

I decided I should stop thinking too much, and stop being so uptight. Let live.

It's not that I think D.U.S equal evil or bad, but the extent of how much they occupy our kids and their lives, making no space for any other sensory experience. That is my greatest fear. I guess it just means that I have to work harder to make sure that it doesn't overwhelm little Matt. D.U.S will form a different experience for him. D.U.S can't be that bad, not especially if it makes our kids happy.

My type of holiday can wait for a while till he's older, I guess. The two need not be mutually exclusive.

So Disneyland, here we come!

1 comment:

  1. Oohh..cant wait to see Matt wearing those Mickey ears!!! It is every kid's dream to shake hands with Mickey...I think! Have a great time.

    ReplyDelete