Thursday, December 2, 2010

Don't Fancy the Fattest Worm

More on the topic of sleep.

When I tell people Matt falls asleep at 11-ish every night, the typical response is a slight look of horror on their face.

Well, understandably. Cause I am horrified myself, really.

I mean, what toddler sleeps at such unearthly hours?

He used to be asleep by 10pm when he was a baby while keeping a nap or two in the day. Then as he grew older, more aware and needed less sleep, he naturally adjusted his naps and sleep timings. Maybe it's instinctive that he changed what he wanted, i.e. sleep later at night so he has more time with mom and pop (then I was still holding a full-time job).

And since he had enough sleep in totality, I tried not to let this disturbing late night trend bother me too much, although I must admit something constantly nagged me at the back of my mind to change his sleep schedule. But there is always one excuse or another. But really, it all comes back to me.

I am not ready.

Of breaking this comfy routine of having more time with him at night and sleeping in till 830 every morning. I mean, why rock the boat when it is a win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win-win situation? (sleep in = many wins)

But the time has come that I must stop procrastinating and move my big fat lazy ass and tweak his sleeping hours to turn in earlier and rise to catch the fattest worm.



He will be attending school which starts at 8am next year. This school is a school school, unlike the one which he is attending currently, a childcare with flexible drop-off time. 8am start time means Matt has to wake up at 7am, latest 7:15am. Ideally, he should be in bed by 9 or 9:30pm latest.

It requires a whole change in lifestyle. Early family dinner, which probably means I eat with Matt at 6pm so we can start bedtime routine at 7:30pm to achieve lights out at 8:30pm and a snoring baby by 9-ish. It probably also means hubs eats dinner alone. He will probably have lesser time with his boy. It also means we get in to work 8-ish, ahead of official working hours (especially for me - I start at 10am). On a less significant note, it also means we fight with the crowd on CTE and pay the highest ERP to get into town.

Oh well, something good will come out of this I am sure. It always does. For now, I just hope Matthew will adjust well to these changes. Me thinks he will. It is probably me who needs to brace myself for what is to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment